More people than ever are now eligible for their flu vaccine free of charge through the NHS. There are 25 million people in England that have this option available. The vaccine remains the best free defence we have to protect against the flu each year that is why it is very important to get the vaccine. The free vaccine will be offered to the following:
- those aged 65 years and over
- those aged 6 months to under 65 years in clinical risk groups
- pregnant women
- those living in a residential or nursing home
- the main carer of an older or disabled person
- children aged 2-3 (on 31 August 2019) and all primary school aged children
Flu is a very infectious virus that can live on your hands and hard surfaces for up to 24hours. It is important to ‘Catch it, Bin it, Kill it’. Catch any sneezes in a tissue, bin the tissue immediately and kill the virus by washing your hands with soap and warm water.