It’s easy for people to neglect their sexual health when in the midst of all the festive fun but NHS professionals want to remind people to stay sexually safe this Christmas.
By practising safe sex you can avoid contracting any sexually transmitted infections or unintended pregnancies.
Professor Matt Phillips, Sexual Health, Clinical Director at North Cumbria Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust said:
“During the festive period we all want to have fun and enjoy ourselves and often our sexual health and wellbeing can be put to the back of our minds. There’s usually a lot of socialising and a party or two this time of year which is why we want to remind people to be sexually safe and prepared.
“It’s important that if you use a daily contraceptive to make sure you have enough to last you during the Christmas period and always be prepared for unplanned sex. If your contraception fails, or if you have unprotected sex over Christmas make sure that you know where to get help. Timing is essential as well, for example, emergency contraception and treatment for if you think you have been exposed to HIV both need to be taken within 72 hours, so don’t put off getting help. Also remember you can get condoms for free at any of our clinics- just walk in and make sure you are stocked up.”
“If you require support when clinics are closed please go to your nearest pharmacy or call NHS 111”.
Opening times for sexual clinics ran by North Cumbria Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust during the Christmas period are as follows:
- Week commencing 16th December: All clinics as normal
- Week commencing 23rd December:
- Christmas eve: Birchwood clinic in Barrow, Solway clinic in Carlisle and Derwent clinic in Workington are open for urgent appointments between 9am until 12 noon. Flatt walks in Whitehaven and Kentwood in Kendal clinics are closed.
- No clinics 25th December or 26th December.
- Week commencing 30th December:
- New Year’s Eve : Birchwood clinic in Barrow, Solway clinic in Carlisle and Derwent clinic in Workington are open for urgent appointments between 9am until 12 noon. Flatt walks in Whitehaven and Kentwood in Kendal clinics are closed.
- No clinics 1st January. All clinics return to normal from 2nd.