If you are on our waiting list for an operation or procedure; learn about what we are doing to reduce our waiting list and some guidance around how to prepare for your surgery while you wait.
- bronchoscopy - examines your airways
- colonoscopy - examines your bowel
- cystoscopy - examines the inside of your bladder
- endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) – these test invove the use of x-rays as well as the endoscope to treat problems relating to the pancreatic and bile ducts
- gastroscopy – examines your gullet, stomach and first part of the small intestine
- sigmoidoscopy - examines the rectum and lower part of your bowel
We also use endoscopes to carry out more difficult treatments. For example, they may be used to:
- remove gallstones
- repair a bleeding area in the digestive system
- remove abnormal growths from inside the bowel
When you receive your appointment, we'll send you some information about what to expect on the day of your procedure, how to prepare and what you need to bring.
If you have any questions, worries or concerns about your appointment, you can contact us using one of the phone numbers in the box below.
Most of our appointments are outpatient appointments, which means you will not have to stay in the hospital overnight. Depending on the procedure you’re having, appointments can take up to 4 hours:
- colonoscopy - can take up to 45 minutes but expect to be in the unit most of the morning or afternoon
- cystoscopy – this is a short test that usually takes around 5 to 10 minutes
- gastroscopy – can take around 10 minutes but you may need to stay longer if you require a sedative
- sigmoidoscopy – this test takes less than 15 minutes
Please be aware that the time given on your appointment letter is your admission time, not the time of your procedure.
As our team also deal with emergencies, these might take priority over your appointment and you may have to wait. If this happens, we’ll do our best to keep you informed but you can ask a member of the team if you’re concerned.
Throughout your appointment and procedure our specialist team will be there to support and care for you. Our team consists of:
- consultant gastroenterologists
- respiratory doctors
- specialist nurse endoscopists
Our staff work hard to make sure your privacy is protected at all times. This means that although your family or friends can come to the unit, they will not be allowed to go beyond the waiting room unless there is a medical reason for them to do so. Please do not be offended when they are asked to wait outside.
*These procedures are only available at Cumberland Infirmary.
To change or cancel an appointment
For outpatient appointments call:
For appointments for procedures call:
If you have questions or concerns about your appointment or medication
West Cumberland Hospital
Where to find us
The Endoscopy Unit is located on the ground floor next to Costa. It is open Monday to Friday and some weekends from 8am to 7pm.
West Cumberland Hospital
The Endoscopy Unit is located on the ground floor next to the outpatient department. It is open Monday to Friday from 8am to 7pm.