Your first midwife appointment usually lasts about 1 hour. Appointments can take place in your home, or in your local GP surgery, hospital or children’s centre.
During the appointment we’ll ask you some questions to help us make sure you get the right care. We may also carry out some checks and tests such as urine and blood pressure checks.
We’ll also tell you about the other appointments you’re likely to be invited to and explain how each of them will work. You can also ask us questions and talk to us about anything that’s worrying you.
At this appointment, we’ll also talk to you about your maternity notes. You need to take these with you wherever you go in case you need medical attention. You can either have a printed copy of your maternity notes or you can download an app. The app allows you to be paper free and:
- keep track of appointments
- see your antenatal and postnatal information
- document your pregnancy with photographs
During your pregnancy you'll be invited for:
- 10 pregnancy appointments to check the health and development of you and your baby (7 if you’ve had a child before)
- routine checks and screening tests e.g. blood tests and ultrasound baby scans
- antenatal care classes to help you prepare for your baby’s birth
Attending ultrasound appointments
The ultrasound deptartment have recently published new guidance regarding escorts for patients having an ultrasound scan.
Only 1 adult should be present with the patient and children under the age of 16 should not be present at all.
After your baby is born you'll be invited for:
- vaccinations for flu and whooping cough
- postnatal care and clinics
- breastfeeding support at home and weekly support groups
Whether you have already made your booking appointment with your GP practice, or whether you still require a booking appointment with the midwife, we would like you to send over some details. This allows the midwives in your area to give you access to the Badger Notes App and book in your first appointment if not already booked.
Once the midwife has received your online referral, they will set you up with access to your maternity notes through the app/website and email you with further instructions on how to register with your email address and password.
The app will help you to keep track of appointments, track your pregnancy journey, see your antenatal and postnatal information and upload pictures of you, your bump and your baby to document your journey. Using the app means you will no longer need to carry around handheld paper notes, all your pregnancy information will be available on your phone with the tap of a few buttons!
Please click on the name of the team closest to you in the list below.
This will open an email for you to complete, these mailboxes are checked on a daily basis, and your community midwives will get back to you as soon as possible.
Please check your email spam folder.
- Appleby Community Midwives
- Brampton / Longtown Community Midwives
- Carlisle Community Midwives
- Cockermouth Community Midwives
- Maryport Community Midwives
- Penrith Birth Centre Midwives
- Whitehaven Community Midwives
- Wigton Community Midwives
- Workington Community Midwives
In preparation for your midwife sending through your registration information, please download the 'Badger Notes' app on the Apple App Store or Google Play store. It should look like the icon below and is provided by Clevermed Ltd.
If you can't access the app, you can go to www.badgernotes.net
For more information on how to use the Badger Notes app, please watch this short video:
Please note that visiting arrangements have now changed for both Delivery Suite and the Maternity Ward and are as follows:
- 10am to 8pm: for birth partners
- 6pm to 8pm: maximum 2 per patient, one of which may be your partner or 2 others if your partner is not able to visit.
- Visiting is welcomed for siblings over 5 years old (please note that due to limited space, any children attending will be counted as a visitor.)
Cumberland Infirmary, Virtual Tour
West Cumberland Hospital, Virtual Tour
Cumberland InfirmaryCumberland Infirmary
Penrith Birth CentrePenrith Birth Centre
West Cumberland HospitalWest Cumberland Hospital
Community midwives contact numbers:
- Appleby: 01768 353719
- Brampton: 016977 41365
- Carlisle: 01228 814872
- Cockermouth: 01900 705760
- Copeland: 01946 523229
- Keswick and Penrith: 01768 245558
- Maryport: 01900 811840
- Wigton: 016973 66609
- Workington: 01900 705033
Advice and guidance for parents to support you during pregnancy, birth and postnatally. Covering everything from labour advice to practical tips for caring for newborns, the northern local maternity system website is a one-stop shop for all things related to your pregnancy journey.